Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Day 3 of Road Trip: Chincoteague Pony Center and Visiting Baron



We had a busy Wednesday.  We were pretty tired from our late arrival at the hotel on Chincoteague Island, so slept in a little bit.   Luckily, the hotel had a small restaurant across the parking lot where we were able to grab a little breakfast.

After a filling breakfast we got into my Mom's car and headed towards the Chincoteague Pony Center to visit with some of the ponies and meet up with Laura, who now owns Baron (horse pictured in main blog photo with me).   Laura works at the Center and her mother and her had graciously invited us over to their house for a informal cookout after Laura got off work, so I could visit with Baron, who I had not seen in almost 3 years.

At the Chincoteague Pony Center, Laura introduced us to most of the ponies, including several descendents of the famous Misty of Chincoteague.      We met a gorgeous palomino named Sunfire that was a great great grandson of Misty and he found Dextra very interesting, sniffing noses with her through the fence.

Both of my girls got to ride another one of those Misty relatives, a chestnut mare named Sunny.

My oldest went first, as she has had a few riding lessons and I thought it would be a good idea for my youngest to watch her big sister and that might make her want to ride more, as she can be a bit more timid about things, at times.  

After 3 times around the small ring, my oldest got off and my youngest couldn't wait to get her turn.   The two boys working the pony ride helped her get on and while one led the pony the other held onto my daughter's left foot and ankle.  The whole time she was riding she kept a huge smile on her face and I was very happy to see this.

While Laura finished up her morning duties we went into the gift shop and my girls got to pick out a few things.  We got several small model horses, that are kid safe, and several horse books.

After Laura was finished and ready to head home, we got into my Mom's car and followed her the 25 minute drive back into Maryland where she lives.   Her mother met us at the car and was so sweet.  

They took me straight out to see Baron.  Laura went to get him, as he was a little ways away from the fence and when he got to me, he took in a long deep sniff and looked like he was thinking.   He then turne his head to Laura and I smiled as he was telling me he remembered me, but that Laura was now his person.   I was so happy to see him so happy, loved, and spoiled.

My girls played in the yard making friends with the Labradors that lived on the farm, while Laura's mother grilled hot dogs and chicken.

We decided to eat inside and had a lovely late lunch, talking and enjoying the wonderful food.   I am so grateful to Laura and her mother for inviting my Mom, my girls, and I over for lunch and to let me see Baron, what extraordinarily nice people.   You don't run across people like them very often these days.

After we ate, we sat on their porch and talked a little more, before I went to say bye to Baron and then we felt we had taken up enough of Laura and her mother's kind time and headed back to Chincoteague Island.

We decided to go for a little swim in the  hotel pool and enjoyed about an hour out there.   My Mom and I took turns holding each of my daughters, but my youngest wanted to stay with me, the most.  The temperature started to drop so we got out and went back to the room to get ready for dinner.

We found a nice Crab Shack on the island and had a late dinner.  I got snow crab legs, which always take forever to eat, but oh so worth it!   Everyone was patient and let me finish and enjoy my dinner.   Luckily the restaurant had a nice outdoor area where we sat and then after my Mom and girls were done, they could get up and play a little, while I finished.

It was another late night, but it had been a full day of fun with horses and friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment