Sunday, July 22, 2012

God Says "Pray for Marcus"


I have prayed for most of my life, as I became a Christian and a true believer in Jesus at a very early age.  True, prayer time and it's importance seems to vary at times, but I am trying hard to be a even more prayerful person.

I felt God leading me to horses shortly after I was saved and a few years later, I felt the draw to horse racing.  I knew then I would take part in the sport, at first wanting to be a jockey, but getting too tall and being already super thin, I was still considered too heavy at 118 pounds.  My lack of eyesight wasn't really the issue, so I then learned how to be an exercise rider and then started yearlings that were heading to the track.   This is when I met Red Devilette, who I now own and call Scarlette, back in  September of 1992.   Can it be almost 20 years ago?  Wow, time has flown.

I prayed a lot when working around Scarlette and the other horses at Longwood Form in Maryland and Scarlette and I developed a special relationship, which you can read about in an early post to my blog.  

God has given me gifts and sometimes I just know what to do to help calm a horse down that is upset or scared.  God showed me several things to do with Scarlette, all those years ago.

I have prayed for all my horses, including Marcus, Scarlette's youngest, who is now a 3 year old gelding and in race training.   I pray every night for him to be safe, stay sound, and not suffer any injury similar to his half sister, Glory.   I pray God help him be a nice race horse and race to his potential, showing the talent God has bestowed upon him.

So, before this past Friday's race attempt, I was praying, but it was just not meant to be.  I will never know why Marcus wasn't supposed to race Friday night and why things unfolded the way they did, read my blog post "Colonial Downs Doesn't Like Me" for the details.   As it was happening, I prayed for Marcus to be safe, silently, and I've prayed ever since.   I saw him afterwards at the barn and he had 2 scratches and seemed fine, but I have not received an update, as of yet, from the trainer, so I continue to pray that he is alright and that no news is meaning good news.

This morning at church, I kept feeling God was trying to tell me something.   During Sunday School, where we watched a video and were told and reminded not to worry so much about what others think of us, it is what God thinks of us that is the most important thing.  We strive to want to hear, when we get to Heaven, God say to us, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."   We should not worry so much and stop trying to please everyone.   We also need to stop trying to conform and realize, "I am an original masterpiece, made by God."   Flaws and all, He loves us the way we are.

So, my heart opened further, I was ready to hear the sermon, by our new pastor, and it really hit home.  As I said, I do try to pray, I probably pray more than I realize and think, just don't keep track of how many times a day I do, but I know I can do better and do more.   Then God spoke to me, "Pray for Marcus!"   Yes, I have been, but this time I knew what God meant.

"Dear God, I pray for Marcus.  Not only that you keep him safe and sound and free from injury, but that when he is scared, you will teach those handling him what he needs to calm down.  Have those handling him instinctively do what Marcus needs from them.  Amen."

I prayed longer than that on this, during service, several times in fact.   But that is the main point of my prayer.

So, we came home, I ate lunch and I had a slight headache, so I went to lay down for a little bit.  Instead of allowing myself to drift straight off to sleep, I made the decision to pray, yet again, for Marcus.

So, I started the prayer above, again.

"Dear God, Please help Marcus, keep him safe and sound and free from injury.  Please do not let him be hurt from this past Friday's incident.  Please Lord, teach those around him what needs to be done to help calm him, when he is afraid or nervous.  Lord, like you taught me to circle two fingers on Scarlette's neck, when I rode her, to calm her down.  Lord, like you taught me to gently tap my fingertips on Bunny's forehead to get her attention back on me and not what was making her nervous or afraid.  Lord, what can they do to help Marcus.   Lord, if you could tell me, maybe they could do something like..."

And then a word popped into my head, "Sing!"   It said.

"Lord, was that you?  Do they need to sing to Marcus?"

"Sing!"  I heard it again.

"OK, Lord, I hear.  I will tell them and glorify you.  I will praise You.   Lord, I know you can do miracles, Marcus could be a champion, not in the worldly sense, but for You.   Lord, make Marcus Your champion.   Let people hear the name Marq Your Bible and know.   Let it be a way to open doors to help me tell people about You and what You have done for me and others.  You are in control and I know Marcus will be as goood as You want him to be and You alone will dictate how well he does in the worldly sense.  Yes, Lord, I want him to be a successful racehorse, but You determine that level of success.  Please continue to keep him safe, You know I love him and consider him a gift from You.   Amen."

So, because I feel led by God to do so, I am sharing all this on my blog.   And I will also try to get out to see Marcus before his next race, because I feel God telling me to directly pray over Marcus, lay my hands on him, and pray, and maybe God will lead me to sing to Marcus.

If you are a believer in God and the power of prayer and that God will answer prayer, I ask you to please pray with me that God protect Marcus and teach those handling him, from his trainer, to riders, grooms, etc what needs to be done and when to help Marcus and if it truly is to sing, that they will just start singing and not know why, but those of us who believe, will know exactly why they are singing to Marcus.   But if there is something else they can do, that God will lead them to do so instinctively, as well.

Some might think it silly to pray for a horse, but those who have known the love of a horse or any other animal, will know why I ask this.   Especially, if you have seen God work through animals, like I have  that you will understand and join me in Prayers for Marcus.

No comments:

Post a Comment